Important: Springtime Rules Recap



Spring Cleaning time!





Hello Everyone,

We noticed that on several versions, some forms of cheating have been tolerated. Though sometimes historically, other times due to information errors, or simply because it’s easier to let things pass than to tackle a difficult situation.

However, in the long run, everyone is penalized by this situation. It's unfair, unpractical and no one really knows where the boundaries are.

So, we have decided to do a global recap for all the versions to set things straight and make sure that the rules are consistent across all the versions of Howrse.

We are also planning to do a general cleanup on all the versions, thus it's an occasion to give everyone fair warning about what isn’t allowed before we start that as shown via the list below.


Click to display
Selling passes to another player

Buying passes from another player

Farming passes via numerous accounts (A.k.a. multiple-accounting). Using the free pass features to collect passes on through extra accounts to transfer them to your main later. (I.E. the passes from sending dead horses to Heaven)

Paying another player with passes or game items to play/do chores in your stead

Bulk sales of old horses against passes (For example: Selling 10 horses for a single pass or any other similar aspect). The allowances planned in the game are calculated to preserve game balance, they are not transferable to another player.

Having more than one account on the same version


Having a common pivot account for teams, its multiple-accounting.

A fake account is used to store and transfer good, currencies and horses among members within a team bypassing game re-sale rules.

Connecting to another player's account outside of the co-management feature

Using a script on your account, regardless of who activated said script.

Yes, you are responsible for choosing co-managers you can trust and who share your ethics

Selling an account to another player either for game currency or actual currency

Selling Black market items

There’s a limit as the number of exchanges and gifts you can do, and it’s for a very excellent reason. This includes selling them for passes or real currencies, both transactions are forbidden.


As for tabbing, add-ons and gaming mouses (link clump, etc...), they are not forbidden per se, but should you ever decide to use these methods, do be careful and stay within reason. If your account seems to be overdoing it and we consider that you are taking an unfair advantage over your peers, due to an automation, it will be equal to scripting.

Therefore, starting the 10th of April, 2018, we will proceed with a spring cleaning on all the versions.

Best Regards,

The Howrse Team
 
cailow
  • Posted messages: 2,287
  • Karma: 10 points
Go to page:
thanks very much for your speedy response Raf's Mum. So could somebody then please tell the spanish administrators they have somehow had a translation error somewhere along the way. They are saying it is strictly forbidden and said our accounts will be deleted if we do this. This makes blupping in teams almost impossible
gillianespie
  • Posted messages: 1,813
  • Karma: 10 points
gillianespie wrote:

thanks very much for your speedy response Raf's Mum. So could somebody then please tell the spanish administrators they have somehow had a translation error somewhere along the way. They are saying it is strictly forbidden and said our accounts will be deleted if we do this. This makes blupping in teams almost impossible


The use of co-management allows a player to work horses and enter competitions. The normal rules still apply about using the feature correctly, not using scripts etc. However if this is an issue on the Spanish Server, then you need to discuss it with them, as it may not be entirely clear what you are meaning.
raf's mum
  • Posted messages: 122,249
  • Karma: 10 points
By Retired breeder, 23rd March 2018 13:42:46
36
128674 registered players on March 2nd or 3rd when the banning of top players first happened.

111413 registered players as of today

A loss of 17,261 players in approximately 3 weeks.

Even accounting for the fact that some of those may have been multis or banned players, not just people who have up and quit, Howrse is headed for a decline.

The simple fact is that you just cannot ignore your player base's wants and expect them to stick around.

I wonder what those numbers will be after the Spring Cleaning?
Retired breeder wrote:

128674 registered players on March 2nd or 3rd when the banning of top players first happened.

111413 registered players as of today

A loss of 17,261 players in approximately 3 weeks.

Even accounting for the fact that some of those may have been multis or banned players, not just people who have up and quit, Howrse is headed for a decline.

The simple fact is that you just cannot ignore your player base's wants and expect them to stick around.

I wonder what those numbers will be after the Spring Cleaning?


If i get banned for Link clump then Im not coming back! Nearly spent 2 grand for it to all disappear... rather invest in other games that arent just gonna delete my account default smiley ;)
cookie12
  • Posted messages: 386
  • Karma: 10 points
Retired breeder wrote:

128674 registered players on March 2nd or 3rd when the banning of top players first happened.

111413 registered players as of today

A loss of 17,261 players in approximately 3 weeks.

Even accounting for the fact that some of those may have been multis or banned players, not just people who have up and quit, Howrse is headed for a decline.

The simple fact is that you just cannot ignore your player base's wants and expect them to stick around.

I wonder what those numbers will be after the Spring Cleaning?



Flip side being who wants to join/start a game where cheating is known to be rife?
How can normal 'play by the rules' individuals even begin to compete (if they so wished).

Just maybe sorting this out will attract new players, and bring back the hordes who have left/barely play anymore because of the behaviour of other players and the way the game has progressed due to this.

Just putting it out there...
haffyfan
  • Posted messages: 14,241
  • Karma: 10 points
By Retired breeder, 23rd March 2018 14:43:31
9
haffyfan wrote:

Flip side being who wants to join/start a game where cheating is known to be rife?
How can normal 'play by the rules' individuals even begin to compete (if they so wished).

Just maybe sorting this out will attract new players, and bring back the hordes who have left/barely play anymore because of the behaviour of other players and the way the game has progressed due to this.

Just putting it out there...



I don't agree with everything but I don't want to play on a game where people can BLUP in 3 minutes for teams and don't give any other teams a chance. My opinion is taking the time to BLUP and earn the GP gains are all part of the fun. I'm not into collecting so BLUPing is what keeps me on the game. Scripting would take out all the fun.
Except people can and do blup manually in 3-5 min.
horsebabe91
  • Posted messages: 11,519
  • Karma: 10 points
Takes me 3-5 minutes to win 20 competitions when nobody is online to help me. How the hell do people do a whole blup in that time ?! default smiley (lol)
risxx
  • Posted messages: 72
  • Karma: 10 points
By Retired breeder, 23rd March 2018 15:00:22
2
Horsebabe91 wrote:

Except people can and do blup manually in 3-5 min.


Risxx wrote:

Takes me 3-5 minutes to win 20 competitions when nobody is online to help me. How the hell do people do a whole blup in that time ?! default smiley (lol)



Yes I understand people BLUP that fast, but the point is they are working to do it that fast, not just letting a program do it.
I don't agree with everything but I don't want to play on a game where people can BLUP in 3 minutes for teams and don't give any other teams a chance. My opinion is taking the time to BLUP and earn the GP gains are all part of the fun. I'm not into collecting so BLUPing is what keeps me on the game. Scripting would take out all the fun.


You just said you don't want to be on a game where people blup in 3 min for teams. It is possible. Without scripts.
horsebabe91
  • Posted messages: 11,519
  • Karma: 10 points
It’s funny how people think that everyone against this cleaning is a nasty, scripting cheater. 90% are actually against the sudden death deletions that will be applied and the constant misinformation from admin is not helping either.
queenappul
  • Posted messages: 4,490
  • Karma: 9 points
vezenka wrote:

Watching administration scramble to control this situation is funny.

"Section 19 basically says that Owlient determines what can be done with its in-game currency" -ZOwey

Essentially you believe that if players cannot make in game money from other players they will be forced to buy passes from you, which is not true. Let's not beat around the bush and lie about it, it's as plain and simple as that. I know many players who if not given an opportunity to make in game money would just quit, not everyone can afford to buy passes and that's just something you are going to have to accept. Since this company was bought by Ubisoft it's care for it's players has decreased, you claim to listen to your players but we all know it's not true.

Despite your efforts players still deal in "illegal" trades, and will continue to do so. So why not allow for them to do so? Players scam now because they KNOW people will not report them because they will also be sanctioned for partaking in an "illegal" trade. If you actually put some effort into it I'm sure you could figure out a trade system that would work. But that doesn't benefit you as a company, does it?

"The purpose of the team is to breed the best horses, rank the highest you can, and enjoy the game as a community. To work together to pursue a common goal. Teams were never intended as vehicles so that team members can become ultra-wealthy in game currency." -ZOwey

Perhaps you should just consider removing genetic potential, because believe it or not people don't spend hours a day play this game just for fun. Perhaps that is a small part of it but no one wants to waste time and effort to make no money. And while you're at it too remove sales and equus seeing as we are not allowed to do what we please with in game currency. Also why not just remove the Grand Prix, as that is one of the main forms of income for teams... Who are not allowed to be in a team to become "ultra-wealthy"... The hypocrisy is astounding. I assume all of the administration team work for free because they find their job fun?

"The account sharing feature is meant to be used with trusted family as mentioned on the description information for it." -Cailow

No, it doesn't say that, "Account sharing is a convenient feature that lets you give access to your game to other players when you are away...". I am genuinely curious have ANY of the administration "competitively" played this game for any time period? Yes, you understand the "mechanics" of the game but as a whole you do not understand it whatsoever. Perhaps you should take some time to play an account from day one, without any of the privileges you are given and see how much "fun" the game is. Farm 1,000 horses a day, 100 BLUP several team horses, manage your sales, keep your equestrian centre running... You are making it harder and harder for players to complete basic tasks. You make it harder for players to reach 100 BLUP, or even 70 BLUP, by changing how BLUP is calculated (by the way who's idea was that? someone who actually plays the game I wonder?) I have several friends who farm for me on occasion because they like to help me. Over the years I have played THIS game (since this server was opened) I have developed carpal tunnel in my right hand. Playing this game any more than a few hours a day causes me severe pain, but I still play because I like to play with my friends/team mates. Why not lower the amount of horses required to find aging points? 500 horses? Why not literally make any changes to ACTUALLY benefit players? Doesn't work with your agenda I see?

"The scripters would have to change their 'speed' to be possible by a human which would slow it down so much it wouldn't be an advantage. I guess they could try to do that, but their speed advantage would be gone which is our goal." -ZOwey

So you are saying players may "script" if their script runs slow enough?

"Just because scammers will always try to find a new way to scam doesn't mean we should throw our hands in the air and proclaim defeat. No, we continue to counter their measures forever.

All games struggle with players who strive to cheat. It never stops and we can never let our guard down. That is our pledge to those who play by the rules." -ZOwey

Why punish everyone because you can't find a method to make trading in game items more secure and fair? You are admitting defeat by trying to ban everyone from trading outside of your "methods". Honest question, do YOU really think that a Nyx Pack is worth 300,000 equus? (the maximum allowed via the exchanges). I don't think you understand how much the game would flourish if players could trade their in game items for their value. But if players are buying items from other players they're not buying passes from you, right? Which is the whole reason this is an issue in the first place.

"Transferring resources between accounts is not fine." -ZOwey

So I have a friend who needs some passes and doesn't have any so I send her some (obligation free, I do not expect them to be repaid) I am breaking a rule? Again falls under "if they can't get passes in game they HAVE to spend money buying passes".

"Our jobs would be much easier if we didn't have to collect and report the feedback you give us!" -ZOwey

YOUR job is YOUR job. You can't sit there and complain about costumer service and say your job would be easier if you didn't have to deal with it.

"Again, it's ok to be given gifts." -ZOwey

I will highlight something you said previously, "Transferring resources between accounts is not fine", So which is it? Are we allowed to give items or are we not?

Wait... wait wait... You literally said it...

"You may be only giving your friend a single pass to help them out, but someone else is sending 10 or 20 or 100 passes back and forth to each other instead of purchasing them.

I know that no one likes to think about purchases as being necessary but games need to make money somehow or they stop existing. If players are circumventing our method of supporting the game... that's a problem for everyone." -ZOwey

I am finishing on this. Where you openly state the only reason we are not allowed to give/receive is because you are NOT making money. That's it people!
'

Someone in administration: answer every single point. Not just a mod, and not just trying to back peddle and say the feedback comment was a joke. EVERY. SINGLE. POINT.
mer101
  • Posted messages: 273
  • Karma: 10 points
QueenAppul wrote:

It’s funny how people think that everyone against this cleaning is a nasty, scripting cheater. 90% are actually against the sudden death deletions that will be applied and the constant misinformation from admin is not helping either.


Completely agree default smiley (y)
cookie12
  • Posted messages: 386
  • Karma: 10 points
By Retired breeder, 23rd March 2018 15:22:48
2
Horsebabe91 wrote:

I don't agree with everything but I don't want to play on a game where people can BLUP in 3 minutes for teams and don't give any other teams a chance. My opinion is taking the time to BLUP and earn the GP gains are all part of the fun. I'm not into collecting so BLUPing is what keeps me on the game. Scripting would take out all the fun.


You just said you don't want to be on a game where people blup in 3 min for teams. It is possible. Without scripts.


I meant with scripts. I can BLUP fast as well. Wasn't meaning that I didn't like people BLUPing fast if they did it manually. Sorry for apparently wording it wrong. I thought it sounded ok but apparently not.
Players who don't script, multi account, don't go around the games trading parameters etc etc have nothing to worry about... It will just be business as usual for us.
haffyfan
  • Posted messages: 14,241
  • Karma: 10 points
By Retired breeder, 23rd March 2018 15:32:45
21
haffyfan wrote:

Flip side being who wants to join/start a game where cheating is known to be rife?
How can normal 'play by the rules' individuals even begin to compete (if they so wished).

Just maybe sorting this out will attract new players, and bring back the hordes who have left/barely play anymore because of the behaviour of other players and the way the game has progressed due to this.

Just putting it out there...


That is an interesting idea, except that the 17,261 was AFTER the initial bans started. The idea of losing everything on a random day due to clicking too fast, or selling "junk" horses for a sum other than what Howrse deems acceptable, or being flagged for multi-accounting when family and whatnot play on the same device, or being told you can't sell these items for this amount, etc, has gotten into players' heads. I guess they would like to have the dignity to leave on their own terms instead of being kicked after putting tons of money and numerous hours into a game. With that being said, who would want to join/start a game where this happens?

And considering that's an average of 5,754 accounts gone per week. If that trend keeps up, this game will be gone in approximately 19 and a half weeks (and yes I realize that's based on a linear progression which RL doesn't always stick to, but the gist of it is still valid) . I know some reading this are probably thinking that will never happen, but with less players to cover the cost of operations, they will have to start charging more for passes, or cut out the free 30 passes a month in order to force people to buy passes to fund their games.
QueenAppul wrote:

It’s funny how people think that everyone against this cleaning is a nasty, scripting cheater. 90% are actually against the sudden death deletions that will be applied and the constant misinformation from admin is not helping either.


Players have had warnings, up until now it has been a slap on the wrist and a 30 (or so) day ban. That has obviously not been enough incentive to keep players from cheating. That is why I think this will be good, a lot more motivation to not cheat.
rogin
  • Posted messages: 9,164
  • Karma: 10 points
I have a question. Are Xanthor links considered cheating? I hope not. I enjoy them because of the randomness. I don't like giving the same people's divines attention everyday (unless one of my friends owns one,) so I appreciate that there's something that creates a randomness to which ones I'll see for the day.
as321952
  • Posted messages: 5,862
  • Karma: 10 points
AS321952 wrote:

I have a question. Are Xanthor links considered cheating? I hope not. I enjoy them because of the randomness. I don't like giving the same people's divines attention everyday (unless one of my friends owns one,) so I appreciate that there's something that creates a randomness to which ones I'll see for the day.


No, because you can still only stroke 5 a day, so it's the same chance for everyone. It doesn't give you any advantage over others who select them via the directories.
minkthepink
  • Posted messages: 34,261
  • Karma: 10 points
Retired breeder wrote:

128674 registered players on March 2nd or 3rd when the banning of top players first happened.

111413 registered players as of today

A loss of 17,261 players in approximately 3 weeks.

Even accounting for the fact that some of those may have been multis or banned players, not just people who have up and quit, Howrse is headed for a decline.

The simple fact is that you just cannot ignore your player base's wants and expect them to stick around.

I wonder what those numbers will be after the Spring Cleaning?


Same is happening on the Spanish server. There were 21.500 of us in January and now theres barely 19.500
ramo_howin
  • Posted messages: 20
  • Karma: 10 points
to everyone who has written a comment: GOOD GREIF!
stinger309
  • Posted messages: 3
  • Karma: 10 points
stinger309 wrote:

to everyone who has written a comment: GOOD GREIF!


You too have written a comment, no?
queenappul
  • Posted messages: 4,490
  • Karma: 9 points
stinger309 wrote:

to everyone who has written a comment: GOOD GREIF!


default smiley (lol) That made me laugh!
storms ransome
  • Posted messages: 3,025
  • Karma: 10 points
Horsebabe91 wrote:

Except people can and do blup manually in 3-5 min.


When I was regularly playing, I got so I could fully skill a horse very fast, and when I was on a team-easy to fast blup, even by yourself-no scripts needed-shoot, I don't have the first clue how to even do that-let alone even know what some of the other supposed cheating lingo means-lol

For me, I stopped when Howrse made way way way too many changes with bluping and skilling, it became too confusing, and became not fun anymore...I used to love to make high skilled crosses-still have most of them too...
pixiesbite
  • Posted messages: 24,742
  • Karma: 10 points
I, for one, am going to keep playing even with all of this still going on and happening. I've never been a top player but I've been around for almost 10 years. I don't have plans to quit until the game itself, comes to an end.

Storm
storms ransome
  • Posted messages: 3,025
  • Karma: 10 points
Go to page: