[Info] Cross breeders

Finally a post just for us cross breeders. The purpose of this topic is for cross breeders to have a place to discuss their crossbreeding programs and to share crossbreeding secrets and advice with others who may be interested in giving crossbreeding a try. Feel free to talk about your crossbreeding programs and your achievements and failures in crossbreeding.
Please remember to follow the rules of the forum and be informative and helpful. default smiley :-))

*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*

Reminder to all.

Please do not advertise sales or items wanted in this topic. I can turn a blind eye to the covers being offered (as long as they are not blatant advertisements) because we are, after all, trying to help each other progress and there is no filter on public covers for searching for crosses, but items sales and items wanted do not belong in any of the public forums and we have a sales forum for horse sales so please, lets keep our topic clean of the ads.

Thanks everyone

*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*


There are reasons for rules and everyone is expected to follow them. There will be no posting of advertisements in this topic and everyone is expected to be respectful. Any disrespect towards fellow players or moderators will not be tolerated. Anyone posting advertisements will receive a forum ban without prior warning. If breaking of rules continues to take place in this topic I will delete it.

Thank you
zepharo

*)*)*)

Edit by pixiesbite

If anyone has personal issues with another player, or needs something back from another player(items/passes), other than covers/fills-please take it to private pms...anymore posting here will mean an instant forum ban without a warning.

Edit by pixiesbite

A reminder that this is not the place for trading/buying/selling BMI, horses or advertising or asking for someone to train your horse.
If any of these things occur, you will be forum banned without prior warning.
 
zepharo
  • Posted messages: 11,579
  • Karma: 10 points
Go to page:
Hi all! Reading through this forum has made me want to start cross-breeding, I think that it can produce really great horses! I have good purebred TBs, and I was wondering if it would be smart to breed them with horses that have super high skills that TBs don't have? (So stamina, trot and jumping skills).
tsunami166
  • Posted messages: 3
  • Karma: 10 points
Tsunami166 wrote:

Hi all! Reading through this forum has made me want to start cross-breeding, I think that it can produce really great horses! I have good purebred TBs, and I was wondering if it would be smart to breed them with horses that have super high skills that TBs don't have? (So stamina, trot and jumping skills).

TBs are a great breed to start with! I've got a few favorite crosses myself.
Friesian×TB = reining horse
TB×QH = Appendix QH (they both have the same skill set)
TB×Appaloosa = same skill set, helps boost gallop in the appy
TB×Arabian or Shagya = haven't done this one in awhile, but I'm assuming it gives you a reining horse - the most recent one like this that I've done are Shagya×QH
TB×Standardbred = had a lot more luck using QH instead of TB, but if you use a TB mare and a Standardbred stallion you end up with a horse that has an unlikely skill set for its breed.


I'm sure there's more that I've done and haven't noticed default smiley (lol)! These are just some that worked well for me.
bandito15
  • Posted messages: 323
  • Karma: 10 points
Hi people!

I have Yezi, Nokota x TB here. Finally got her BLUPped - she's kinda allround, the only anomalies being low stamina (1800) and high dressage (2800).

Does anyone have any recommended breeds I cross her with? Also if anyone wants a foal let me know. default smiley (b)
上海妹
  • Posted messages: 388
  • Karma: 10 points
If you wanted an all around, you could do TWH or Arabian.
bandito15
  • Posted messages: 323
  • Karma: 10 points
Tsunami166 wrote:

Hi all! Reading through this forum has made me want to start cross-breeding, I think that it can produce really great horses! I have good purebred TBs, and I was wondering if it would be smart to breed them with horses that have super high skills that TBs don't have? (So stamina, trot and jumping skills).


I thought I’d be purebred all the way but cross breeding has definitely kept the game more interesting, that and there is no genetics race to keep up with. I’ve dabbled with crossbred gallopers, mixing tb with app/qh/psh to produce some rosette winners in breeds that don’t otherwise have a readily available gp that’s high enough to do so. Currently I’m playing with tb/gypsy/lusitano and hoping to get a decent reiner. Definitely a good foundation breed!
skylark
  • Posted messages: 138
  • Karma: 10 points
@skylark I've never done a reining cross that uses lusi before- how's it going? I've only ever done TB×Friesian, Friesian×Arab, QH×Arab, and QH×Shagya for reining, which worked how I wanted.
bandito15
  • Posted messages: 323
  • Karma: 10 points
Bandito15 wrote:

If you wanted an all around, you could do TWH or Arabian.


Oh I'll definitely try Arab, thank you! default smiley 8-)
上海妹
  • Posted messages: 388
  • Karma: 10 points
Bandito15 wrote:

@skylark I've never done a reining cross that uses lusi before- how's it going? I've only ever done TB×Friesian, Friesian×Arab, QH×Arab, and QH×Shagya for reining, which worked how I wanted.


Still working on blupping the first generation (50% vanner, 25% lusi and Tb), But I entered one in the Prix last week and it beat the Lipizzaner (gp 11900, blupped) I also entered by several hundred places, I would still like to do some tweaking and get 1/3 of each breed and see how it goes.
skylark
  • Posted messages: 138
  • Karma: 10 points
lovetopaint
  • Posted messages: 19,504
  • Karma: 10 points
Does anyone know how to make a good dressage cross? Preferably without the lusitano, as it doesn't exist on the server I want to make the cross on
dream_dream
  • Posted messages: 19
  • Karma: 10 points
Dream_Dream wrote:

Does anyone know how to make a good dressage cross? Preferably without the lusitano, as it doesn't exist on the server I want to make the cross on
Hey there! Here are some breeds with dressage as the dominant skill other than Lusi:

Nokota
Morgan
Lippizan
Knab
KWPN
Irish Hunter
Friesian
lovetopaint
  • Posted messages: 19,504
  • Karma: 10 points
(I'd personally go Nokota x Knab to keep them from dropping the secondary and tertiary skill, but Morgan x KWPN would work well too.)
lovetopaint
  • Posted messages: 19,504
  • Karma: 10 points
Tsunami166 wrote:

Hi all! Reading through this forum has made me want to start cross-breeding, I think that it can produce really great horses! I have good purebred TBs, and I was wondering if it would be smart to breed them with horses that have super high skills that TBs don't have? (So stamina, trot and jumping skills).
TB is suuuuper fun to work with. If you want a comper, I'd cross with a stallion of a breed that has a lower top gp but similar skillset for the breed. An example would be TB x Welsh Pony (Gallop Speed Dressage x Gallop Dressage Speed) and then hit Welsh breed comps for Gallop or Reining. default smiley ^)default smiley (l) If you want some more cross ideas, feel free to PM me and I can send you some more when I have time to look at my spreadsheet in detail.
上海妹 wrote:

Hi people!

I have Yezi, Nokota x TB here. Finally got her BLUPped - she's kinda allround, the only anomalies being low stamina (1800) and high dressage (2800).

Does anyone have any recommended breeds I cross her with? Also if anyone wants a foal let me know. default smiley (b)
CUTE! Hey, I have a stally or two you might be interested in.

Otherwise, I'd suggest KWPN to keep with the same skillset but raise the GP! You could also breed with a KWPN x Morgan to target Morgan breed comps with a higher GP.
lovetopaint
  • Posted messages: 19,504
  • Karma: 10 points
Hi @lovetopaint! Thank you for your kind words and recommendations! For anyone who's curious about how this turned out, here's an update!

(I'm also very excited to show you guys myself because I think it's very successful, but please let me know if you have any tips, tricks or comments!)

So I started off with Yezi - Nokota x Thoroughbred

Bred her to a Lusi x Selle stud, got Kuang Ai. I think she turned out pretty great!

I then took it to one of my KWPN mares, and bred her to a Morgan horse. That got me Kai Qi. He was very easy to BLUP so maybe something for others to pursue too? default smiley :d

When I finished BLUPping Kai Qi, I bred him to Yezi to create a perfect 4-way. That got me the Morgan dominant horse that is Coconut. Compared to the purebred Morgan in his family line, his GP is about 2000 points higher overall and the three best skills are also higher for Coconut than the purebred Morgan.

Let's hope I can get into some comps with these horses!
上海妹
  • Posted messages: 388
  • Karma: 10 points
Heya! Like so many others I was absolutely sure that I wouldn't crossbreed ever, but here I am, getting more and more intrigued. With college starting this autumn I also won't have the time (or money) to keep on breeding competitively.

I have some Selle Francais racers. Which breed should I crossbreed them with to get some relatively good horses? I'm hoping to increase their trot so I was thinking maybe something like French Trotter?


Any recommendations for other breeds are also welcome default smiley :)
maru-chan
  • Posted messages: 14
  • Karma: 10 points
Maru-chan wrote:

Heya! Like so many others I was absolutely sure that I wouldn't crossbreed ever, but here I am, getting more and more intrigued. With college starting this autumn I also won't have the time (or money) to keep on breeding competitively.

I have some Selle Francais racers. Which breed should I crossbreed them with to get some relatively good horses? I'm hoping to increase their trot so I was thinking maybe something like French Trotter?


Any recommendations for other breeds are also welcome default smiley :)


Selle×Trotter with a trotter dominant horse might get you a good competitor for breed specific comps I have a selle×Paso Colt that is a similar cross. His mom was a 7000 gp Paso and his dad was a 12000 selle I think, so not quite balanced, but it's the closest I've gotten to a SellexTrotter
bandito15
  • Posted messages: 323
  • Karma: 10 points
After staring at different horses for almost 30 minutes I actually ended up crossing with a Lusi. I chose him because they also have a good gallop. So after breeding a 13.4k Selle mare with a 13.5k Lusi stud I got this filly. Wil end up being a dressage horse, but I don't mind because this is all completely new to me and I just want to test things out for now.
maru-chan
  • Posted messages: 14
  • Karma: 10 points
Maru-chan wrote:

After staring at different horses for almost 30 minutes I actually ended up crossing with a Lusi. I chose him because they also have a good gallop. So after breeding a 13.4k Selle mare with a 13.5k Lusi stud I got this filly. Wil end up being a dressage horse, but I don't mind because this is all completely new to me and I just want to test things out for now.


I'm actually surprised - looking at her skills, you made an sj dominant lusi, which isn't common, you're right though, she will be good for dressage. Most of my lusi crosses have backfired on me and ended up dressage dominant lol!
bandito15
  • Posted messages: 323
  • Karma: 10 points
Maru-chan wrote:

After staring at different horses for almost 30 minutes I actually ended up crossing with a Lusi. I chose him because they also have a good gallop. So after breeding a 13.4k Selle mare with a 13.5k Lusi stud I got this filly. Wil end up being a dressage horse, but I don't mind because this is all completely new to me and I just want to test things out for now.
CUTE! I love her.
lovetopaint
  • Posted messages: 19,504
  • Karma: 10 points
Here is my new gallop rosette winner default smiley ^)

Polka

He's a TB x Paint Horse x QH x Appaloosa (Dominant)
I also bred a similar filly who is QH dominant but can't quite find the motivation to train her up...
i4horses
  • Posted messages: 482
  • Karma: 10 points
I4Horses wrote:

Here is my new gallop rosette winner default smiley ^)

Polka

He's a TB x Paint Horse x QH x Appaloosa (Dominant)
I also bred a similar filly who is QH dominant but can't quite find the motivation to train her up...


Lovely horse! I need to get some rosette winners done asap thanks to the the win 1 rosette objective I got today default smiley :@ so close 7 days lol
bandito15
  • Posted messages: 323
  • Karma: 10 points
I4Horses wrote:

Here is my new gallop rosette winner default smiley ^)

Polka

He's a TB x Paint Horse x QH x Appaloosa (Dominant)
I also bred a similar filly who is QH dominant but can't quite find the motivation to train her up...
That's a neat skillset!! If you feel like giving out covers... let me know default smiley (8) A cute coat as well.
lovetopaint
  • Posted messages: 19,504
  • Karma: 10 points


I've thought about doing something like this! I have one that has 2000 in 5 skills. Let me know where you decide to take it, comp wise.

Maru-chan wrote:

After staring at different horses for almost 30 minutes I actually ended up crossing with a Lusi. I chose him because they also have a good gallop. So after breeding a 13.4k Selle mare with a 13.5k Lusi stud I got this filly. Wil end up being a dressage horse, but I don't mind because this is all completely new to me and I just want to test things out for now.


I have a similar horse, Smithereen, and she's been surprisingly good at show jumping. I haven't tried her much in dressage as Lusi's are naturally dressage horses.
cheer4always
  • Posted messages: 1,427
  • Karma: 10 points
cheer4always wrote:

I've thought about doing something like this! I have one that has 2000 in 5 skills. Let me know where you decide to take it, comp wise.
Of course! I'll keep you posted default smiley :p
cheer4always wrote:

I have a similar horse, Smithereen, and she's been surprisingly good at show jumping. I haven't tried her much in dressage as Lusi's are naturally dressage horses.
I wonder what crossing her with an Arabian stallion would produce (to bring up stamina!)


It'd be great to get some opinions on what crosses to blup first--I've narrowed it down to a dozen or so. The tab I've put the foals in is under Xena's Retirement Pastures >> Next To Blup. default smiley (l) Thoughts are appreciated.
lovetopaint
  • Posted messages: 19,504
  • Karma: 10 points
Hi y'all, I blipped Xi Liao, a perfect 4-way. default smiley :) Let's see how he does in comps once he's all bolded. Thoughts on what to breed him with? default smiley ^)
上海妹
  • Posted messages: 388
  • Karma: 10 points
Go to page: